Monday, February 7, 2011

I'm an awful blogger...

Hello!

Andy says I need to actually update every now and then so here it is!

I woke up today, checked my email and got the best news! MOM AND MIKEY ARE COMING TO VISIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited! That email couldn't have come at a better time, seeing as how the homesickness everyone warned me about is starting to kick in.
It has been two weeks since my last post, and since then I've done so many things! I went to a vinyard in the Chianti Hills with my program and it was beautiful! We stayed at a villa that was almost 1000 years old and owned by a Countess. She gave us a private wine tasting lesson and even cooked a traditional Italian meal for us (and just for your information, salad is not considered a meal, or even the most important part of the full dinner here). Here are some pictures from that trip:




Classes have been going well. Italian is tedious, but I feel a little more at home and excited every time I'm able to pick up a random word from conversations I pass walking down the street. My favorite class is Graphic Design. Its the only class where I'm the only American. Its tough because the professor gives a portion of the lecture in Italian, then repeats himself in English, but I'm really excited about the big project for the semester. We're each working on our own magazine that we will design and write. It will only be about 4 pages long, besides the cover, editorial page and index, but I can't wait to get it started on my computer!
Last weekend we went to Siena with the program. I'm still waiting on pictures from that. I forgot to charge my digital camera, so my friend lent me her extra (yes, extra, thats what I get for going to an art school where everyone always has multiple cameras or art supplies on them at any given moment), and she is going to email them to me. I will post those as soon as I get them. Grammy--I took some pictures with my 35mm too! Fun fact: according to our tour guide, Paul, the Duomo in Siena is the only place where graffiti is considered art. This is because of the high detailed etchings in the floor of the church. They also have works by Michelangelo and other artists in the church. We saw where the horse races take place every year, I wish I could be there during one of the two times a year it happens, but sadly I'll be back in America then.

I visited the church, Santa Maria Novella, for an art history assignment last Sunday. The frescos were beautiful, but we weren't allowed to take pictures. However, when we were leaving, the sun was setting perfectly on the front of the church. This picture is definitely one of my favorites so far.



For Super Bowl Sunday most of the people in my program got together for a potluck pregame party (the game started at 12:30 am for us). The catch was, you could only attend if you brought a completely american dish, or an attempt at the Italian version. I tried to make mac and cheese but they don't sell cheddar cheese here! I ended up making what tasted like really cheesy butter noodles. It was okay, but not the same. We went down to the Pub down the street to watch the game. I was one of the few that stayed to watch the whole game (thank you late classes on Mondays!) but was forced to watch the Packers win. Ugh. My friend Becca (from Wisconsin) really rubbed that in. So did Andy. The Bears will make a comeback someday, I promise.

I'm leaving for Prague tomorrow night and I'm so excited! We're going to Prague Castle to see the Barbie museum (yes, its inside the castle apparently) and to the little dwarf houses where alchemists lived and attempted to make the Sorcerer's Stone several centuries ago (Harry Potter!!) That trip will deserve its own post when I get back!

Ciao, love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment